In this video,
I get a bit excited about how handwork can affect our
minds & bodies – (it’s so amazing)…
& if it sounds like I’m sitting beside a waterfall,
it’s because I am !
Did you miss Video #1 ? It’s HERE
What are The Making Lessons ?
A Live, Easy & Inspiring Course
NOTE : The Spring 2014 Session
of The Making Lessons
Click HERE to get access to Early Bird Pricing
for the SUMMER session ( Starts July 13, 2014).
This unique course is designed to lead you through clearly outlined steps which will help you feel more creative & confident when teaching children to “think with their hands”.
Delivered over 6 weeks, this Self-Paced course is taught via easy-to-follow lessons; each brimming with inspiring ideas & supported by up-to-date research about the fabulous effects handwork has on our children’s brains & bodies.
This course is Live. It will grow & change as we move through it. I will be planning projects for my own children along with you (I’ll show you how & what I’m doing).
Many new students have been sending me their children’s ages & names. I’ve started tweaking the course with them in mind. It’s all part of the fun!
We are going to be creating some wonderful things & exploring exciting new ways to teach children to make their world.
Unique & Flexible Approach
to Handwork Lesson Design
I have been a professional designer, maker & teacher for 30 years. Handwork has been my passion since I can remember & now I am finally sharing my flexible approach to designing handwork lessons & projects for children.
You’ll discover how these techniques will simplify your planning & help you feel more confident & relaxed about including handwork in your everyday lessons.
Are The Making Lessons right for me?
You’ll enjoy coming along for this creative course if you:
• like to think for yourself, draw from many sources & then translate your ideas into a rich & exciting curriculum for your children
• have so many ideas you don’t know where to start when it comes to handwork projects
• teach children aged 4 – 9 (approximately kindergarten to grade 3)
• want support & guidance when planning your projects
What will I get ?
From the first lessons, you’ll be learning new ways of thinking about handwork & how important it is for your children (& you!). You’ll feel your own creativity stirring as ideas start to surface & before you know it, you’ll have more than you’ve ever thought possible.
Once you have completed the course, you will be able to mold this approach, adapt it, make it yours – so that you can quickly & easily write lesson plans & design projects for any age child(ren) using any curriculum – for years to come.
Finally, you’ll have everything at your fingertips, all in one place!
The Making Lessons feature :
• Real-time feedback – ask me & I’ll answer YOUR questions
• Specific steps for you to follow during each lesson
• Slidecasts, text & audios – choose your favourite way to learn
• Lots of inspiring images (many from my own projects & archives – 25+ years worth)
• Simple templates to get you going on your own handwork projects
During the course, you’ll create your own Handwork Sourcebook which you will be able to refer to over & over again.
You’ll save many, many hours of searching & gathering information online. You’ll also save lots of $$$ because I’ll tell you which books, materials & tools I think really worth buying.
Printables Galore !
I have created an huge array of easy to use PDFs specifically for this course, including :
• Guided exercises & short readings for you to reflect on
• Handy worksheets, tables & forms to print & use immediately
• Shopping Lists for materials, tools, resources ( including FREEBIES)
• Checklists for preparing lessons (have everything ready BEFORE you teach)
• Charts & Calendars (festivals, handwork skills lists for kindergarten to grade 3)
• Basic starter patterns & templates
• Annotated book lists (my core resources & I’ll tell you why)
How are The Making Lessons taught?
Creating anything is always a multi-faceted endeavour which rarely starts at just one point. It’s so easy to get caught up in the planning & dreaming. Often, we miss getting to the making stage!
As a homeschooling/work-at-home/designing mother, I know how challenging it can be to find a long stretch of time to myself (pretty much impossible), so The Making Lessons are clear, short & filled with solid content.
Mix + Match + Create = Enjoy
You can spend as long as you want browsing, choosing
& sampling anything that takes your fancy.
Listen, watch & do at your own pace.
Once a lesson is posted, it’s ready when you are!
Everything is presented in 7 multi-media lessons -
Lesson 1 - Why Handwork Matters
• how it affects children’s heads, hearts & hands
• how handwork is brain smart
• how the course works
• how to get the most out of this opportunity
Lesson 2 – Collecting Ideas & Content
• the powerful places to integrate handwork into your curriculum
(“Handwork Integration 101”)
• how to annotate books & sites – easily remember where you found topics & ideas
Lesson 3 – Inspiration
• where to find it & what to do with it once you’ve got some
• create your own personalized Handwork Sourcebook
• how to create “look boards” for yourself & with your kids
Lesson 4 - Skills & Projects
• general overview of age appropriate handwork skills
• observing & assessing your child’s skills
• assessing your own skill levels - define YOUR unique making talents
• learning new skills – how, when & where
• types of projects – gifts, toys, dolls, teaching tools, décor, contemplative
• explore tools, materials, vocabulary & basic skills for the major fibre arts
Lesson 5 - Creating your own “Handwork Studio”
• collecting the right materials & tools
• building your own library of books & other resources
• when & what to buy
• what NOT to buy
• how to work with YOUR budget
Lesson 6 - Teaching Handwork
• tips for designing engaging lessons
• create your own individualized craft guide & lesson planner
• easy to follow techniques with examples of simple lesson plans
• tips for building confidence, maintaining motivation & making it fun
• how to create an environment that enhances the handwork experience
• how to vary lessons—make them easier, extend them
• enjoy the lesson you’re teaching without worrying how you’re going to present it
• working with multi-age groups
Lesson 7 – Making Handwork Memories
• Record – making sample books, storing finished work
• Report – how to tie new handwork skills into academic topics
• Share your children’s work with school inspectors, friends & family
♥ I’ll post lists of my favourite inspirational blogs & websites
♥ You can choose to be matched with 2 other students in a Creative Trio
♥ You can share & explore the course with the other participants by leaving comments on the private course blog.
This all sounds great, but what about….
you may have some questions about your situation & how The Making Lessons can work for you.
You can indulge in this short, practical course
— even if :
• you don’t follow a Waldorf/Steiner based curriculum (everyone is welcome)
• you don’t know a lot about handwork yet (everybody has to start somewhere !)
• you use a mix of curriculums & packages(customization is the name of the game)
• you don’t have a whack o’ cash lying around for mounds of supplies (who does?)
• you teach a mixed age group of children (projects can be even more fun)
• you teach in a professional setting (this approach will simplify your planning)
• your kids are really little (start learning & gathering inspiration now)
• your kids go to school but you’d like to enrich their lives with beautiful things
• you keep trying to add handwork into your days but can’t seem to find the time
It’s possible for anyone to benefit from this course if you are willing to read a bit, think a little & try some new things along the way.
*** This is the course I wish had existed when I ***
started homeschooling so many years ago.
P.S. The GREAT BIG BONUS !!
Those who complete & submit the core course exercises (details in Lesson One)
will receive a complimentary private 30-minute Skype session ($75 value) with me.
We can plan a project, brainstorm for a festival or just chat about handwork.
Whatever you want to talk about !
Want to bring handwork to your children
with me along to help you
every step of the way?
I live ( & love) this stuff –
I read/design/teach/make constantly —it’s my thing !
I hope to meet you soon !
P.S. Go ahead & EMAIL me if you have any questions !
Miss Video # 1 ? Go HERE!!